Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Tradition

In the com-boxes responding to a Rod Dreher blog (a question about books), "Sarah in Maryland" muses about the disadvantage we have in our very "anti-tradition" culture:

I agonize over what to have for dinner. If I were part of a traditional culture,
that would be figured out for me. I wouldn't waste my time reading diet book
after diet book, pouring over recipes. For my wedding, there were so many
choices that I wanted to explode! I wanted to have all those decisions made for
me. If we had more of a wedding tradition, I would have fewer decisions to make
and more time to enjoy the person I was going to marry. Tradition would have
picked out the type of flowers, the ceremony, the vows and the type of food we'd
have. Can you imagine how much mental energy this would save us?


This is a very good point. Even though we are anti-traditional in our culture, we still benefit from tradition even when we don't recognize it. Extended families usually don't quabble about the holidays once they have established a family tradition. Christmas Eve at Grandma's, Christmas Day at cousin Suzie's, the Sunday after Christmas at Aunt Margaret's, New years Day w/ Uncle Bud. We always have a roast. We always eat at 5.

Thats just a minor issue. We Modern Western Christians have thrown away the recieved Tradition, and wonder why we can't stop arguing.

No comments: